Tuesday, January 17, 2006

When the going gets tough, the tough think about shoes (Pam)

The media conference, she is done. I would have written sooner, but I was having beer.

Where to begin? All guests arrived on time and were in great spirits. Logistics were flawless. Content was flawless. What was less flawless was the technology.

When Mike Russill, the prez, introduced the web site, the computer froze. That's right - it didn't work. Worked fine the four times we tried it before.

No worries. Show must go on. Mike explains what the site does and the speaking continues. As that's happening, the computer gets rebooted and the site then performs as previously advertised.

Funny. I wasn't speaking at the conference, but it's amazing how it was I who riveted the audience when the computer crashed. Everyone looking for my reaction. Feeling my pain.

What can a person do at a moment such as this? Grace is what's called for. Grace comes from knowing that no matter what's going on around oneself, if one is wearing great shoes, one can deal with anything.

I was wearing great shoes. The elevator lady at the Tower told me so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home