Monday, November 07, 2005

Contemplating Concepts (Pam)

Forgive me, gentle reader, for my lapse in corresponding. I’ve been in the midst of concept debate.

This is a long story, so allow me to begin at the beginning.

Some time ago, I don’t recall the day, we were presented with three TV concepts and 2 print concepts. I’m sure there are some instructions somewhere to tell you where to click to see each of the concepts.

(Reader’s Note: Should you care to understand what you’re about to read, you should probably check out the concepts, cause I don’t have the fortitude, nor the skill, to describe these concepts on my own here.)

So, Concept #1 didn’t get very far, as the net take-away seemed to be that throwing money at the climate change problem would solve it. If you read the concept fully through, you’ll see that the copy doesn’t say that, but the imagery is so powerful that, really, that’s what the consumer would be left with. Alas, Concept #1 was poo-pooed.

Then we were left with two.

Concept #2…the infamous Gas Station script. This was the concept that we chose. It is radical. It is funny. It’s brilliant. It will be talked about.

Concept #3…the Picket Fence Summit, as we’re affectionately calling it these days. We did not select this concept, even though it brilliantly illustrates exactly what WWF-Canada does. Regretfully, we bid adieu this brainy concept in favour of the sexy, funny Gas Station.

And then we slept on it.

Then we had doubts that seemed to grow with the passing of the hours.

And then we slept on it again.

And then we killed it. All of us. Agency and client together.

It’s risky. Too risky. We’re not afraid of risk. We’re not even afraid of being too risky. Thing is, if we’re going to put out our necks, we’re going to do it on a conservation issue, not on something that has nothing to do with our work.

Many, many hours of tense deliberations brought us back to the Picket Fence Summit. It lives.

Trick is that that print concepts that were presented aren’t working. At least that’s my position. Turns out that the creative guys don’t agree with me. They rarely agree with me. They wear me down with all their clever arguments.

Here’s the thing. When you work with smart people, you get smart work. The problem is that it’s a very painful and frustrating process. Sometimes, when I’m feeling very weak and tired, I silently wish that I was working with stupid people. My life would be easier. I could just boss them around and get my way and not be so tired mentally. But then where would we be?

So, at 3:00 pm today, I get to listen to the creative guys tell me why I’m so wrong about the print concepts. Truth be told, I do hope I’m wrong, cause we are seriously behind schedule and going back to the drawing board will screw us up large.

WE WILL NOT BE LATE WITH THIS CAMPAIGN. (I figure if I say this enough times, and loudly and bitchy enough, it will be true.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home